Monday, August 16, 2010

Road to Recovery! My First Driving Experience Since My Accident!

After my car accident, I always wondered what it would be like to drive again. Quite frankly, I was pretty afraid just thinking about it. The last time I went to the doctors, he asked me why I’m not driving. I didn’t know I could, and I told him I was waiting for his “ok.” He said I can and should drive. BUT still, I was kind of afraid. Since H works from home most of the time, he mostly drives us around. However, for my first physical therapy session (which I will tell you more about next time), H had to go into work and that means, dun dun dun, I was forced to drive myself. Like as in, me, in the driver’s seat, maneuvering a car by myself! Eeks! I hadn't driven for 7.5 weeks. I made H take me to “practice” driving. We drove around a parking lot late Friday night. I was pretty nervous, but yet, it was like getting back on a bicycle after not riding a long time. It wasn’t so hard. And I said, “This isn’t so bad.” H pointed out that I was driving no more than 10mph. Oh. Guess I still have some work to do. I did drive home from the parking lot, and went a max of 30mph!

Here’s some pics of my first time driving alone! I took them all while I was at a red light or full stop! I promise I didn't take it while driving.

Getting ready to exit the garage.


Check the rear. Looks good.


Check the mirrors. Looks good.


I backed out successfully!


Here I am at the first major intersection!


About to make a right turn.


Four way stop.



Next major intersection. Half way there!



Last intersection before San Ramon Regional Medical Center where I had my first physical therapy session.


A relieved me parked at the parking lot. I'm quite proud of myself.


Here's some stats of my first solo driving experience since my accident.

Start time: 12:30PM
End time: 12:41PM
Trip duration: 11 minutes
Distance: 2 miles
Max speed: 30MPH
Number of turns: 6
Happiness and proudness level: 10/10

Yay for me!

3 comments:

sbtang said...

I hope it was Hal taking the pictures of you driving and not you taking the pictures of yourself driving....

Becky said...

Great job, Winnie! Small steps (drives)! *Hugs* and keep it up!

Alice in Wonderland said...

One small road trip, one giant step to recovery! So glad you're getting your "car" legs back. Keep it up! And no texting while driving!