Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Gender Roles

Today I had another conversation with my favorite student, Sergio.

Sergio: When do you get mad at home?
Me: Hmmm, I guess when Mr. Light doesn't wash the dishes.
Sergio: Isn't that a woman's job?
Me: Ok, let's discuss this. Mr. Light and I have a deal. I do all the cooking and he has to wash all the dishes. That way we both have a job. Do you think that's fair?
Sergio: Yea. So what does Mr. Light do [instead of washing dishes], watch TV?
Me: Yes.
Sergio: And you keep telling him to wash dishes?
Me: Sometimes.
Sergio: And you finally just can't take it anymore?
Me: Yes.
Sergio: Ok.
He runs off and starts playing on the play structure.

Later on, I'm carrying a heavy box and decided to give it to Sergio to hold, telling him that's obviously a "man's job."

1 comment:

Alice in Wonderland said...

Glad you set young Sergio right. Real men wash dishes! And cook.