Friday, November 06, 2009

Peking or Beijing?

A conversation with H.

H: Do they have good Peking Duck in Shanghai?
W: No, Beijing has good Peking Duck.
H: What about Peking? I thought Peking Duck is from Peking.
W: Peking and Beijing are the same.
H: No.
others chime in and say it's the same.
W: YES! It's the same but different dialect. Like one is the Mandarin way of saying it and one is the Cantonese way of saying it or something like that.
H: WHAT??????????????? So is Peking spare ribs popular and good in Beijing and does Peking spare ribs mean Beijing spare ribs?
W: YES! OMG!
H: Wow, I learn something new everyday!

2 comments:

Alice in Wonderland said...

Glad you cleared that up for Hal! ha ha

nafrica said...

Actually, it has to do with different spelling conventions. Chinese names are spelled two different ways in English - Pinyin and Wade-Giles. Every Chinese city and historical person has two English spellings. I remember because I took Chinese history in college. It was hecka confusing!